We have provided significant advice on most of the PPPs undertaken in the New Zealand market since they were first used in New Zealand in 2010. Few New Zealand law firms can boast this level of experience.
Because of our extensive experience on New Zealand’s PPPs, we intimately understand the project documents and how to best address them in the New Zealand market.
We have advised at all levels from Special Purpose Vehicles (Puhoi to Wellsford) to Design and Construct Contractors (Transmission Gully, School and Prison PPPs) to Operators (Wiri Prison) to Facilities Maintenance (School PPPs) and Equity funders (Auckland South Corrections Facility and Transmission Gully).
Our specialised practice areas – construction and major projects, banking and finance, and commercial work closely together to successfully deliver projects.
Our experience includes:
- Auckland South Corrections Facility PPP: we acted for Serco as operation and maintenance contractor and equity holder, the successful bidder on New Zealand’s first PPP.
- Schools 3 PPP: we acted for the Design Construction Contractor as the successful bidder for the recently awarded Schools 3 PPP, covering five schools, with a possible further nine across New Zealand.
- Tamaki Regeneration: large scale development project- we acted for a developer/builder as part of its bid.
- Transmission Gully: we were part of the team advising the successful bidder. Our advice was provided to both equity and design/construct contractors.
- Puhoi to Warkworth PPP: we were the New Zealand advisor to a bidding consortium.
- Schools 2 PPP and Hobsonville Schools PPP: we advised a design and construct contractor on the Schools 2 PPP, and separately, two consortia (one at design and construct level, the other at facilities maintenance level) on the Hobsonville Schools PPP.
- Ruataniwha Water Storage Project: we advised an international design and construct contractor as preferred bidder for this $450 million water irrigation Build Own Operate Transfer scheme and dam.
- Next Generation Tennis Centre: we acted for Next Generation Clubs (NZ) Limited in the establishment of a Build Own Operate Transfer arrangement with Tennis Auckland for the redevelopment of the Auckland Tennis Centre, and the construction and operation of a new leisure and sports club on the site.