Sonya is a property lawyer with 12 years’ experience with top tier firms advising clients on all areas of property law.
She regularly advises domestic and global clients on a wide range of property matters including high-value commercial property acquisitions, disposals, due diligence investigations, leasing and development.
Sonya has particular expertise in forestry transactions, including advising clients on the acquisition and disposal of forestry land, forestry rights, Crown Forestry Licences and advising clients on OIO compliance. Sonya also has significant agriculture and viticulture experience, including advising clients on the acquisition and disposal of dairy farms and sheep and beef farms.
- Regularly advising a large supermarket on the acquisition and development of commercial properties and long-term leasing for their supermarket sites.
- Advising a NZX listed company on the acquisition and development of a large property for a retirement village.
- Regularly advising a New Zealand based client on its forestry acquisitions and disposals, in particular the sale of two large forestry rights registered over Maori customary land.
- Regularly advising a large-scale forestry owner on its day to day forestry activities including advising on Crown Forestry Licences, drafting and negotiating forestry rights and negotiating roading licences.
- Regularly advising a large overseas company on all property matters relating to its large-scale dairy farm including on the acquisition of parts of the dairy farm and its day to day activities (including negotiating easements, underpass leases and conservation covenants).
- Advised a high-end retailer on its first lease in New Zealand for its flagship store in Britomart.
- Advising an established forestry holder on the acquisition of several large forests throughout New Zealand including undertaking extensive due diligence investigations and negotiating agreements for sale and purchase as well as on going property related matters.