Paul is a specialist construction lawyer with over 25 years’ experience and is part of the largest specialist construction and major projects team in New Zealand.
He helps clients procure, draft and negotiate large infrastructure projects. These include road and rail projects, social infrastructure projects such as schools, prisons and social housing developments, and water and energy projects. He also helps resolve issues and disputes that arise during construction.
Paul advises the key decision makers in the infrastructure sector from government agencies, local authorities and large principals to major international and domestic contractors and consultants, and leading industry organisations.
Paul can advise you on all forms of procurement from design bid build contracts using standard forms such as NZS 3910, FIDIC and NEC3, to design and build contracts, early contract involvement contracts, alliances and PPPs. Paul has advised on all but one of the New Zealand PPP projects. He can also advise on disputes if they arise, whether by way of mediation, adjudication under the Construction Contracts Act, arbitration or court proceedings.
Paul is the advisor to the Executive Council of Civil Contractors’ New Zealand and was on the board of Infrastructure New Zealand for over six years. He is currently on the Kensington Swan board.
Admission date: 1989
Paul has advised:
- Auckland Transport on the City Rail Link Enabling Works Contracts. Separately, Paul is currently advising a bidder for the main tunnelling and station contracts.
- on several PPP projects including the successful design build contractors on the PPP Schools 3, the consortium on the Puhoi to Warkworth PPP, and the operator contractor for the successful consortium on the Auckland South Prison (Wiri) PPP. He is currently advising the design build contractor in its bid for the Waikeria Prison PPP, and a developer on the Tamaki Regeneration: Large Scale Development.
- Auckland Council, Auckland Transport and Watercare Services on infrastructure development agreements with developers as core parts of Auckland’s application to the $1 billion Housing Infrastructure Fund.
- the Spanish design and construct subcontractor on the proposed Ruataniwha Water Storage BOOT.
- NZ Transport Agency on a number of its major projects, including the Waterview and Causeway Alliances, the Wellington Memorial Park Alliance, and the Northern Corridor Improvements Project.
- Auckland Transport on the construction of the new Wiri train depot using NZS 3910 and FIDIC contracts.
- as lead counsel for a contractor in tender disputes in the High Court and Court of Appeal regarding a local authority’s procurement practices.
- as lead counsel for the Crown, local authorities and major contractors in large adjudications under the Construction Contracts Act.