Michael is an experienced employment law partner. Clients enjoy building a relationship with him, and appreciate the calmness and clarity he brings to solving employment relations issues.
Michael is the go-to person for various international companies with employees in New Zealand, helping them navigate their way through New Zealand’s complicated employment laws while retaining their own culture. He also advises New Zealand corporates, SMEs and other organisations.
Technically astute and always commercial, Michael is recognised for his extensive experience in collective bargaining and managing union relations, workplace restructures, and helping business guard their interests through restraints of trade and protection of confidential information. He is an experienced litigator, and has appeared in many precedent setting cases.
Admission Date: 2000
Michael has advised:
- Qantas Airways Pty Ltd on its front-end bargaining strategy with various unions, and guiding them through the bargaining process.
- Visionstream Pty Limited on the establishment of its New Zealand operations, including successfully defending claims brought by the union under the OECD Guidelines for Multi-National Enterprises.
- The Order of St John on its employment relations across it ambulance and health services throughout New Zealand, including collective bargaining and internal investigations.
- a Maori iwi, Te Runanga O Ngati Whatua, on bringing claims against a former employee who had seriously breached his obligations, including obtaining and executing the first search order to be issued in the Employment Court.
- Aon in enforcing a post-employment restraint against a senior sales person, and securing significant damages and one of the highest recorded penalty awards in the Employment jurisdiction.