Marija is an expert in resource management and government and regulatory law. She acts for statutory and regulatory authorities requiring strategic advice on planning, environmental and related governance issues, consenting major projects, maintaining relationships with stake holders and liaising with central and local government.
Marija is experienced in all aspects of planning procedures and resource consents across a range of sectors including property, energy, mining, and viticulture. Her particular focus is major infrastructure, especially transport and development. She has been involved in key city-shaping projects across Auckland.
Marija regularly appears as counsel at council hearings, mediations and before the courts, as well as liaising with central and local government on national planning and strategic issues.
Marija was ranked as an associate to watch in public law in the Chambers and Partners Directory in 2011 and 2012. She is an alumni of the Leadership New Zealand programme (2008) and a qualified RMA hearings commissioner.
Admission date: 1996
Marija has advised:
- Auckland Transport on the designations and resource consents for the City Rail Link, Penlink project, Mill Road project and Bayswater Ferry Terminal.
- Auckland Transport on a range of strategic planning matters including the Auckland Plan and Auckland Unitary Plan. Plan changes including Clevedon, Kingseat, Drury, Swanson, Hobsonville, Silverdale and Matakana. She has also provided strategic advice on Light Rail Transit.
- Southern Gateway Consortium (a group of property developers) on the successful rezoning of 150 ha of rural land at Puhinui to light industrial purposes, and the creation of a new precinct to facilitate its development under the Unitary Plan, along with the land’s inclusion under the Rural Urban Boundary of Auckland.
- New Zealand Winegrowers on strategic and policy advice throughout New Zealand including developing planning guidelines and appeals to the Environment Court on plan changes.
- Meridian Energy on obtaining consent for the Mill Creek Wind farm near Wellington.
- First Gas Limited on the environment and planning aspects of acquiring Vector Gas Transmission and non-Auckland gas distribution businesses and the Maui natural gas pipeline.
- On the sale and supply of liquor legislation to listed companies, corporates and the hospitality sector, including advertising and liquor licencing applications.