John leads our national property and real estate team. With more than 45 years’ experience, John can provide advice on all aspects of commercial property law.
John specialises in commercial leasing work, advising both landlords and tenants on all aspects of their leasing transactions. In recent years John has focused on assisting government agencies with their leasing arrangements. He also has deep experience in advising on development agreements for design/build/lease transactions, and advising on commercial conveyancing and subdivision transactions.
In addition to acting for the Crown, John acts for private sector clients, trusts and private individuals.
John has trusted advisor status with his clients. His clients enjoy his accessibility, his ability to identify not only potentially contentious issues, but more importantly solutions which are favourable to his client. John is an expert draft-person.
John is Chair of the Alexander Turnbull Library Trust, which supports the Library’s work of collecting, preserving and making available New Zealand´s cultural heritage.
Admission date: 1972
John has advised:
- The Government Property Group on negotiating comprehensive development agreements with the Precinct Group in relation to the redevelopment of the Bowen State Building and Charles Fergusson Tower in Wellington as part of the Wellington Accommodation Project Phase 2.
- Ministry of Social Development (and its predecessors), advising for 20 years on its national lease portfolio including recent new office premises in New Plymouth and Whanganui, and its new head office accommodation in Wellington.
- Victoria University, advising on the Civic Music Hub project involving the establishment of the New Zealand School of Music in the refurbished Wellington Town Hall in conjunction with the NZSO and the WCC.
- Centreport Limited, for over 15 years on a range of property issues including sale and purchase of properties, leases and licences, and advice on issues arising from recent earthquakes.
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment on a comprehensive review of the standard lease documentation based on ‘lessons learned’ from recent projects.
- Ministry of Education on resolving issues around the timing and liability for payment of rent as the ‘King Edward Barracks’ development in Christchurch neared completion. The matter became contentious early in 2017 and John assisted the Ministry to reach a favourable settlement with the developer.