Ezekiel is a special counsel in our environment and planning team. He specialises in, and advises clients on, all aspects of the Resource Management Act and related legislation, helping them obtain resource consents and designations, and make submissions on changes to district and regional plans.
He also helps clients to comply with their environmental requirements under the Resource Management Act (RMA) and other acts, and assists them when they face potential prosecution for breaching their authorisations.
Ezekiel advises government and local government agencies carrying out large infrastructure projects. He has also acted for private companies seeking planning authorisations. He works closely with project managers, planning managers and environment managers and he has appeared at council hearings, Boards of Inquiry, the Environment Court and the High Court.
Ezekiel has an in-depth knowledge of the Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2017 as he was involved in the development of the amendments while he was on secondment to the Ministry of Primary Industries.
Ezekiel studied Kyokushin (full contact) karate from the age of 11. He earned his senior black belt in 2010.
Admission date: 2007
Ezekiel has advised:
- On a number of ‘proposals of national significance’ heard by Boards of Inquiry appointed by the Environmental Protection Authority, including plan change requests and concurrent resource consent application for salmon farming (NZ King Salmon); the Ruakura Development Proposal (Transpower New Zealand); the Tukituki Catchment Proposal (Mr Apple), and the Northern Corridor Project (NZ Transport Agency).
- On a number of environmental litigation cases regarding resource consents. Examples include acting in an Environment Court appeal for a mussel farm operator, representing a jet boat operator in the High Court, and a judicial review against the non-notified grant of resource consent for subdivision and construction activities.
- Heritage New Zealand and the NZ Transport Agency on the Christchurch Replacement District Plan; NZ Transport Agency and Air New Zealand on changes to the Tasman Resource Management Plan; and Pernod Ricard on freshwater allocation under the proposed Marlborough Environment Plan.
- On several law reform proposals including RMA reforms in 2009, 2011 and 2013, and most recently on the Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2017.
- Mapua Joint Venture Ltd on the first ever development contributions objections hearing under the Local Government Act.
- Ports of Auckland, Vector, Ballance Agri-Nutrients, and Watercare, on compliance obligations under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996.