Brendan leads our construction and major projects team in Wellington. He is a highly experienced commercial litigator who is recognised for his expertise in disputes in the construction and infrastructure sectors.
Brendan has led cases in forums from the Weathertight Homes Tribunal to the Supreme Court. He has also led arbitral proceedings and expert determinations.
Brendan’s clients value his strategic approach and commercial acumen. He works closely with them to ensure their commercial needs are met and risks are mitigated.
Brendan also has many years’ experience with other commercial and property disputes and he continues to help a wide range of businesses resolve such disputes.
Admission date: 1998
Brendan has advised:
- A major electricity supplier and a head contractor on disputes that arose out of the construction of three new power stations. These included claims over variation, delay, warranty and defects, and disputes over the interpretation of contracts.
- Master Build Services, a leading provider of building guarantees in New Zealand, to resolve a wide range of guarantee and negligence claims for building defects.
- The international owners of new oil and gas infrastructure in one of New Zealand's largest adjudications, dealing with claims by a subcontractor for variations, delay and disruption.
- Owners, developers, builders, subcontractors, suppliers and others on a range of defect claims for oil and gas facilities, tower blocks, a stadium, large-scale residential developments and standalone residential homes. These included substantial leaky building claims.
- The landlord of a commercial property in a rent review dispute. The rent for the property concerned was difficult to value and the dispute went to arbitration, resulting in a substantial increase in rent for the landlord.
- NZX and Mark Weldon in a lengthy and difficult High Court dispute with the Australian vendors of Clear Grain Exchange, purchased by NZX. The vendors were seeking damages of approximately AUD$20 million. NZX and Mr Weldon successfully defended the claim.
- A commercial property developer in the resolution of threatened adjudication proceedings by a head contractor for a multimillion dollar sum for variations and delay, prolongation and disruption.
- The lead consultant in an arbitration with a Government Department in relation to the fee payable for work on the development of new facilities for the Department over several years.
- A commercial property developer on the course of action to take to ensure that their office project was completed in a timely manner following the insolvency of Mainzeal.