Barbara is a senior associate in our environment and planning team. She provides a wide range of advice including on designations, roading matters, regulatory issues and heritage matters. She has experience drafting submissions on regional and district plan preparation, and has assisted with major roading projects considered by EPA Boards of Inquiry.
She has advised infrastructure clients, commercial clients, local authorities and government agencies, and has assisted clients to prepare for hearings before councils, the Environment Court and Boards of Inquiry.
She liaises with in-house counsel and planners and technical experts.
Barbara also has a particular interest in legislative climate change responses, and has presented to clients on the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill.
Admission date: 2006
Barbara has advised:
- Assisting the NZ Transport Agency through the Board of Inquiry process to obtain designations and resource consents for its Transmission Gully, MacKays to Peka Peka, and Northern Corridor Improvements projects.
- Providing strategic advice to a social housing provider considering options to consent urban regeneration programmes.
- Whanganui District Council on district plan interpretation matters.
- NZ Transport Agency on its interests in appeals against the Queenstown Lakes District Plan.
- Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga on a range of issues, including on an Environment Court proceeding in relation to a building protected by a Heritage Order.
- A commercial client to obtain an extension to a resource consent lapsing period.
- Secondments to the NZ Transport Agency’s legal team in 2015 and 2019 advising on resource management matters.
- Secondment to the Parliamentary Counsel Office in 2018 to provide legal assistance to the Access to Secondary Legislation project.