International trade and investment is essential for New Zealand businesses if they wish to grow, but it requires specialist legal expertise. Kensington Swan works closely with businesses operating in, and from, New Zealand to assess investment and acquisition opportunities.
Our international trade lawyers can introduce you to pre-approved in-market professional advisers, and manage the application of their advice in the New Zealand context.
We can advise on:
- corporate and structural issues
- resource management requirements
- Maori law
- local regulatory issues including overseas investment consents and issues
We are experts in all of New Zealand’s international trade agreements, including Closer Economic Relations (CER) and Free Trade Agreements (FTAs). Details of these agreements are on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade website.
Kensington Swan has direct offshore experience, which provides us with an outstanding global network of market connections. We work with clients in Australia, Asia, the Pacific, India, and the Middle East on business structures, joint ventures, foreign investment, and acquisition.
We provide advice on:
- multi-lateral and bi-lateral free trade and investment agreements, and compliance with international conventions
- international policy development, and development of future free trade agreements
- cross-border acquisitions, including due diligence
- negotiation, drafting and settlement of cross-border agreements, and employment issues
- direct foreign investment in New Zealand
- dispute resolution and enforcement
- governing law, conflicts of law, and jurisdiction.
Free trade agreement
We provided advice on investment protocols under the pending free trade agreement with the Gulf Cooperation Countries.
New Zealand-registered company and airline
We successfully defended a New Zealand company against an application by the Australian Airline Pilots Association. The Association sought to enforce an Australian Pilots industrial instrument against New Zealand-based pilots employed by a New Zealand-registered company and airline.
Related legal services
Overseas investment law
Corporate & commercial law